Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Golden Arches

So, I've been working on a presentation for my social problems class on negative body image, focusing mainly on the extremes of obesity and eating disorders. I've been watching a lot of clips on this subject, and this afternoon Chris and I were watching one on McDonald's.

I feel bad for McDonald's- they get so much flack for being a successful business. It really bothers me when I hear of people suing MickeyD's for compensation for their obesity. Yes, McDonald's food is absolutely horrible for you and if you eat a lot of it for an extended period of time you will gain weight and become unhealthy. However, McDonald's meets health codes and nutrition info is available online.

Eating excessive amounts of McDonald's and suffering the consequences is your problem; this is a self control issue- not a restaurant/business issue. Just like any bogus product, we have the choice not to buy it. The freedoms that we enjoy enable businesses to grow and thrive in America and we have the freedom to choose what we eat and what we spend our money on. Maybe instead replacing blame off of yourself, we could fix the problem instead of suing the symptom.

I'll get off my soap box now, I just had to get that off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment